Editor: Roleta Smith Meredith Issue 163 March 2013


submitted by: Roleta

Remember your school friends? Write and tell us about your school friends and if you have kept in touch? Some things to think about and tell us about…..Do you visit each other? Are you email friends? Do you live in the same town and hang out together? How often do you see each other? We are interested in knowing how your friendship has lasted and if you still seem to have a lot in common.

Write to today and tell me all about your school friends.


Who remembers playing with the hula hoop on the stage at the Robinson Grand?

Why were people doing this? When was it?

Did you participate?

Was it for an event, a charity raising money, a promotion or a contest? Do you have a picture of the event or of yourself or someone using the hula hoop?

Write to


There are four kinds of people, those who never leave, those who move on and never look back, those who move on and always want to return, and a few who do come back.

Now think a minute, where do you fit in?

Write and tell me….email to


submitted by: John Teter (WI '61)

After graduating from WI in 1961, I went to Fairmont State College for a year and decided that college was just not for me. I was taking accounting-oriented classes. The first semester I was dating a girl that was still attending WI (as was my roommate at Fairmont, and he had a car), so we would make several trips to C-burg during the week to see the “loves of our lives”.. My grades the first semester were average, but after the girl and I broke up, I spent most of my time at Fairmont during the second semester, but lost interest in college, as my grades the second semester showed. SO, I decided to stop going to Fairmont.

Then, I took a job in the summer of 1962, with Sutter Roofing Company. LITTLE DID I KNOW that the job that Sutter was hiring summer help for was at the UNION CARBON in Anmoore. I worked that job for 3 months, in the dirtiest, filthiest, hottest part of the Carbon and only stayed the entire 3 months because my dad and aunt worked at the Carbon. I can remember my dad coming home wearing carbon dirt, which was something that was just horrific to get rid of, but somehow he did manage to stay clean. I, however, never seemed to get clean. That job and that 3 months made me decide that I was going to NEVER take a job that could involve my getting that dirty again.

So, I came to "visit" my sister (Lib) and her husband in Hyattsville, Maryland for "2 weeks" so that I could get a handle on what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I looked in the Washington newspapers and found a job in Washington at Capitol Radio Engineering Institute as a veri-type operator, and my "visit" has kept me in the Washington, D.C. area ever since. I worked that first job for 6 months; then moved into a computer-trainee job with the D.C. Government for 6 months; and then a printing company in Arlington, Virginia and the rest is history. I had been in the computer programming / operations business over the next 40 years at different jobs, but stayed programming and operating and learning different computers (mainframes). AND, staying CLEAN! My last job in the computer field was with a printing company that I worked for over a 30 year span, and left only because the company was bought out 2 years ago, and the new owner started eliminating duplications in employee responsibilities.

SO, I went on unemployment for a couple of months, and then thanks to "helping" my wife’s office during tax season (after one of the accountants quit in the middle of tax season), I started working as an ACCOUNTANT of all things. Look back at paragraph one, and you will see that I quit college because I did not want to be an accountant. Anyway, here I am, working as an accountant, going into another tax season, thinking about maybe retiring after this tax season (or definitely after next year’s tax season). The good benefits that I have working here are: 1.The job is only 2 miles from my house in Alexandria, Virginia. 2. I get a week off after tax season. 3. I am getting paid more for working here that I was collecting from unemployment. The bad benefits that I have working here are: 1. We work from 8 – 6, 6 days a week starting 2/16 – 3/15. 2. My wife is my boss (which is really not that bad). 3. I am working as an accountant.

There have been times that I have contemplated going back to C-burg to seek employment and a place to live, as several of my classmates and friends are still there, but I have just not seen and/or found anything that I could do to earn a living at this stage of my life. If and when I retire, I would probably leave this area and move to Georgia (as that is where my son and granddaughters are), but my wife never plans to leave this area, so !!!!! here I stay, so to work. I think that I would find retirement BORING at this point in my life.

Good last newsletter, and I hope that you keep it going Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all you – YOU, JUDY and BILL for all of you efforts.

NOTE FROM EDITOR: Thanks John, for really supporting the newsletter.

submitted by: Eann T. Hodges (WI '71)

Why I left Clarksburg...

It is early 1976. Four years earlier, I had dropped out of college, married my high school sweetheart and divorced a mere 2 years later. I hate to admit it, but Clarksburg had become tedious; I was simply surviving. I had a decent job, but I was not living to my full potential. I decided to take the plunge and apply for a federal government job. After months of interviews and background security checks, I was accepted. I packed my bags and moved to Fairfax, VA, to begin my new life. Three years later I joined the Foreign Service; I was enticed by the idea of living and working in various countries around the world. In September 1979, I moved to Buenos Aires, Argentina, my first foreign posting. Subsequent postings included New York City; Copenhagen, Denmark; and, eventually, I landed in Ottawa, Canada, where I have remained. A Canadian stole my heart, I turned in my diplomatic passport, resigned from the Foreign Service in 1987, graduated from university, married my Canadian love - Ben, became a Canadian citizen (still have American citizenship), retired in 2011, and now I enjoy a life of leisure in Ottawa. Nevertheless, I still yearn for those beautiful WV hills, but with no family remaining in Clarksburg (Lake Floyd) I rarely get “home”. My last trip was to attend my high school reunion in 2011. It is our intention to visit later this year. See you then!

submitted by: Dede Short King (WI '94)

My husband and I moved to Washington, PA with our 2 children in 2000 after he took a transfer with his company so I would be able to stay home with my kids :)

Once here, I longed to fulfill my dreams. I started by going to college and earning a BA in Interior Design.

I also attended an Actor's Expo in Pittsburgh and was signed by an agency in Pittsburgh and North Hollywood, CA. and soon after began studying Voice Acting. 2 year later, I landed my first cartoon spot and to date, have done over 1,000 local and national commercials and 2 cartoons.

We have since moved to the Centerville area of PA and have also added 4 more kids for a total of 6. Being very active people, we have found how much we love the PA area with all there is to do; festivals, etc...however, like any WV native, we do still long for our Wild, Wonderful home :)

submitted by: Nancy Van Horn Moore Stunger (WI '54)

We left Clarksburg in 1963. At that time my husband was Claude Moore (Victory),my sister Carol (Van Horn) Dean (WI 1958) and her husband Roger Dean (RW) were sitting at a bowling alley, Roger had just returned from Germany. I said lets move to S.C.! Claude and I had visited his brothers there and we fell in love with S.C. Claude worked at the Hazel-Atlas, every year they would go on strike and we couldn't seem to get ahead. We had 2 boys then (4 & 5 1/2). The first shock was getting used to the red clay, the school system wasn't as good as WVA. Then we had our third son 1966 and a daughter in 1968., we have been here 50 yrs and Greenville, S.C. is a bustling famous city, highly rated by the Southern Living Magazine. I still yearn for the mountains and am looking forward to coming to our WI class reunion in Oct. this year classes 1953 and 1954 will have their reunion together. We always follow WVA Football.

submitted by: Della Sue Sheline (VHS '63)

I was born and raised in Clarksburg, We lived in North View. All of my family went to Victory. I graduated from Victory in 1963. My husband is from Logan, Ohio. We met at Salem College. We graduated from Salem in 1971 and came to Florida to teach. We went back in the summers and got our Masters Degree from Salem, also. He lived in Clarksburg for 4 years while we were going to school. He roomed with Mr. & Mrs. Allen on 5th Street for 2 years and, when we got married, lived on Hamill Avenue in North View. I have gone to Clarksburg Baptist Church since I was a baby and I am still a member there. My maiden name was Armistead. My parents were Harmon Louis (Bud) Armistead and Elizabeth (Betty) Caussin Armistead. My great grandparents had the oldest house in North View. We still own the home I grew up in on Hamill Avenue. My grandfather was part owner in the Layfette Glass Company in North View before it burnt down in the early 1900's. I do have a long history in Clarksburg. I am anxious to see if I know anyone at the picnic.

submitted by: Jim Alvaro (WI '56)


After leaving WV Wesleyan after my first year because of football injury, I went to Cleveland, OH for a job. After Cleveland, I went to Akron and worked in the Rubber Industry for BF Goodrich. After plant closings in Akron and attending a Welding school in Clarksburg, I got a job in Atlanta in the railroad car manufacturing industry. Several years later I started a welding program at Atlanta Technical College. After 15 years at ATC, I started another welding program at Gwinnett Technical College. After setting up the welding program I moved to the front office as an Admissions Specialist for the Trades and Technical programs. I took applications, schedule testing, evaluated transcripts, and signed acceptance letters. In 1999 I retired after 30 years in the State Technical School System. Since then, I have been spending a lot of time with my three granddaughters and doing a little traveling with Sonja. Overall it has been a pretty good life. I love the Atlanta area but still call Clarksburg, WV HOME .

submitted by: Roleta Smith Meredith (WI '59)

My parent’s were teachers in Harrison County, West Virginia. The teachers in WV were only paid 9 months a year and were under paid for their work at that time. They were actually happy in West Virginia but found "the grass was greener on the other side". Yes, the green was $ and the other side was on the other side of the Ohio River, so they sold our home in Clarksburg, WV and moved to central Ohio where they almost doubled their yearly income. Bill and I were married and he looked everyplace for work in central WV but couldn’t find a job. We moved to Ohio and lived with my parents for a month while he got a job and we saved enough money for our first month’s rent on a little apartment. We missed "home", our friends, all that we knew and were familiar with. It was hard but that is when and why we left West Virginia.

Now tell us why you left or what made you decide to stay in WV? Write to

CLARKSBURG WOMAN TURNS 105 0019bb2963f4.html#.USqPEJxPqeY.facebook

This is interesting, you may know this lady.




People back then were more desperate than we are!


submitted by: Rich Newbrough (Bridgeport '55)

EDITOR’S NOTE: This is truly an amazing story that proves it really is a small world.

My wife (Patty Sprout RW '57) and I truly enjoy your monthly newsletter-we look forward to it each and every month to see info on so many of our West Virginia friends.

We thank you for your effort and for including all the schools in the county. Let me tell you about a strange odyssey of two Bridgeporters and if you deem it worthy of the next newsletter, please use it.

Dave Ferraro and I graduated from BHS in 1955 and after our university years, went into the armed services. Dave was commissioned an Ensign in the Navy and I became a 2nd Lt in the Marine Corps. Unknown to us at the time of first assignment, we ended up in Southern California. In 1960 my unit was involved in an amphibious operation and it was Dave's ship that we used. The navy used landing craft to bring us aboard and as we circled around endlessly, getting sicker by the minute, I caught sight of the boat group commander who was directing the traffic. I ask our boat driver who the ensign was and he said "Ensign Ferraro, sir." I told him to get that ensign over to our boat. When Dave pulled alongside, he was shocked...his words were "Rich what in the hell are you doing here?" I told him I WAS TRYING to get aboard and was getting sicker by the minute. He immediately got us aboard and that night, I slept in Dave's cabin while the rest of the Marines were quartered in the bowels of the ship, stacked 5 high. The next morning we were to "hit the beach" and Dave came along side to bid farewell. The navy likes to see Marines get wet and very often they are told to go over the side rather than use the ramp. Dave ordered our driver to go all the way in and put the ramp down. We were the driest Marines in the unit. We were able to get together later and Dave and his wife, Bobbie Grossa BHS '55 were the godparents of our first son.

A year later, I'm based on Okinawa and we were scheduled for another operation, and who's ship? Dave's of course. Once again classmates of BHS were reunited, this time half way around the world. What a chance meeting!!


submitted by: David Martin (Lumberport '64)

I will be pleased to join you for the Clarksburg Reunion Picnic. My name is David Martin, I graduated from Lumberport in '64 but my 3 sisters graduated from WI. My family moved to Clarksburg in 1963 when my father opened the Texaco service station in West End, near Kroger "Red Martin's Texaco". I worked at Kroger for two years while I was attending Fairmont College before joining the military; I also worked at my dad's Texaco when I wasn't working at Kroger.

I now live in Hardy County but visit Clarksburg often because two of my sisters still live around there and I own some rental property there (one of them, an apartment building, is right behind WI). I come to St. Petersburg for the winter since retiring three years ago.

I enjoyed reading the newsletter and look forward to seeing you and meeting other WV'rs at the picnic.

submitted by: James Fragale (WI '58)

I was able to read December, but unable to see January. Beyond that, how are you? Trust your health is good these days. Would like to commend you on the tireless work on the newsletter. It's got to be overwhelming sometimes. I was home for Christmas, Clarksburg and Bridgeport, and while working out at a local gym met a classmates kin, Linda George (1958) Marty George. Linda passed away in Florida. If we've not written anything about her, I'll try to get particulars, if you're interested. Let me know that. I'm still at it. Got the CD out there as well as two articles in HUFFINGTON POST. On January 9, 2013, I was the subject of the Endquote in New York POST's syndicated columnist Cindy Adams. Here's what Cindy Adams wrote: "Pop music producer Jim Fragale sent a gracious, refined actually handwritten stamped letter -- not e-mail -- an old-fashioned real genuine letter - through the US Postal Service. Music giant Pandora's e-mail reply: 'Apologies for the delay in responding. We aren't set up to deal with postal mail.'" Meanwhile, still hocking my West Virginia CD "Oil and Coal" via (or, telephone: 800 289 6923) And for the record the two Huffington Post articles: "Save the Music, Music, Music." And, the most recent, "Books You Hold in Your Hand."

Roleta, may you have your best year ever and accomplish the Ultimate.

Jim Fragale

submitted by: Bill White (WI '56)

I have not been much of a contributor to the monthly newsletter, but absolutely enjoy receiving and reading it each month. You should immediately be elevated to sainthood for the extraordinary work you, Judy and Bill do in putting this together each month and for making so many of we old Clarksburgers happy and nostalgic in remembering our growing up years. Many thanks from this old Clarksburger for all that you do.

The scholarship program is also a great thing that you are promoting and I hope that you will be able to keep this entire program going for many years to come.

In the future, I will try to be more of a contributor to the newsletter.

Please convey my regards to my 1956 classmates at the reunion.

submitted by: Martha R. Jett (RW '79)

I really enjoy your WI newsletter. It is so full of great information and history of our area. How do I get put on your mailing list for each month’s newsletter? I graduated from RW in 1979 but I see you still have lots of folks from other schools submit stories. I even see my Uncle Larry Jett has a submission this month! If I can be put on your list, please send to this email address:

EDITOR’S NOTE: YOU DID IT In order to get on the list all you need do is send me your name, school and year of graduation. And of course, your payment is that you need to share some memories with us. I have many readers who have been reading this newsletter for over a dozen years and haven’t helped me out one bit by sharing a memory or two every once in awhile…. Are YOU one of them? Write today to


submitted by: Barry Mazza (WI '58)

Most all those guys in the picture were Stealey guys except some lived in Hartland but about the same since they were so close. I remember the manager lived in Hartland as well. I can’t remember his name, maybe someone else will.

We were not very good, I remember we lost lots of games.

I am pretty sure that I took those pictures out by the VA hospital, that road across the bridge on Milford St.

I hope someone will write and identify some of these guys.



I started collecting money for the WIN Scholarship in 2004.

The first scholarship was given in 2005.

At the end of May 2013 those who have given to this scholarship will have given $38,000.00 back to the community of Clarksburg through scholarships.

If we are able to raise enough money to cover the Sept 2013- May 2014 WIN Scholarships of $6,000.00, we will have returned $44,000.00 to Clarksburg!

The WIN Scholarship pays approximately half of the fees for the first year of college for the WIN Scholarship recipient.

If YOU are one of the generous people who have given to the scholarship fund, you may take a BOW…..can you hear the applause? I am cheering here along with every child we have helped!


submitted by: Sandy Zickefoose Lindke (WI '56)

My first husband, Gene Thomas, WI 1954, talked me into trying out for majorette. He saw to it that I had transportation and he was my cheerleader. The summer uniform was difficult to sit in. The starched skirt was so stiff it had to be fanned out up my back. I liked the winter uniform better and it was more comfortable. When we marched in the band festival parade in Huntington I got terrible blisters on my feet. My socks worked down in my boot and the friction on bare skin did a number. Does anyone remember climbing the hillside path to Chestnut St. from Hite field? Talk about needing to be a mountain goat but it was the shortest route.

My favorite teacher in high school was Miss Virginia Robinson. I think she and Mr. Frederick were our class sponsors. Some thought there was a "thing" going on between the two.

I also remember the "chicken houses" on either side of Morgan grade school. That school handled all the kids from Stealey and Hartland.

Does anyone remember the cartons of milk that we drank at school? I did not like milk and a warm carton of milk really did not make me like it any better.

Morgan school was a long walk from the corner of Traction Street and Magnolia Avenue. Loved the hotdogs from Mrs Webb's confectionery on that corner. The trains used the old streetcar tracks for a switching siding. They would slowly slip down the tracks at night and wake me with a loud bang as the cars shifted to a stop. Our bedroom was on the track side of the house and it would glow like it was on fire from the flares. I still like trains.

You and Judy are doing a fantastic service to us all. Thank you both for all the time and energy that you put into the newsletter. Also thanks to you and Bill for the Sarasota Saturday. Looking forward to seeing all who can attend.


submitted by: Don Marple (WI 1953)

I have a short, vivid memory about the tornado. We lived on 19th street in Northview. I was upstairs in bed and heard my father answer the phone when a banker from Shinnston called that evening to tell Dad that a tornado had hit the town and ask for the Union Bank to deliver cash the next day in case there was a run on the bank after the event. My father was incredulous and agreed to take action to help. I, too, held the belief that tornadoes would not touch down in WVa because of the hills.

The hills are wonderful, but they didn’t stop this one.

EDITOR’S NOTE: Do you remember the Shinnston Tornado? Please write to and share your memories.


submitted by: Tim Cork (WI '62)
Brother-in-law of Sallie Holden Day (WI 1959)

I thought you might get a chuckle from this picture. Sallie and Gene Day were in Las Vegas recently and sent me these two pictures.

Apparently Sallie found a Willow Beach out there also.

I added the old Willow Beach ad for a little flavor. lol

IF YOU ANSWERED YES, READ THIS LINK Washington-Clarksburg/dp/B0049B2MU2



We are excited that the WI Classes of 1953 and 1954 are joining together for a Last Hurrah reunion in October of this year. It will be the 60th Reunion for the "older" class and 59th for us younger grads. We found that the members of both classes are dwindling and thought it would be fun to do this one together. After that, the chairmen of both classes say that they are retiring as facilitators!

This Joint Class Reunion will be held on the weekend of October 11-12 at the Bridgeport Convention Center. They will host all events and classmates and guests may stay at the attached Wingate Hotel, the nearby Microtel, or wherever they choose. Registration and Informal Get-Together will be Friday, Oct. 11 from 6:30 until 11:00 pm. There will be Hors D'oeuvres and a cash bar. A Social Hour and Banquet will be held on Saturday evening beginning at 5:30 pm. Group pictures will be taken prior to the banquet at 7:30, and a DVD of class pictures and memories is being planned. The cost for the weekend activities is $70 per person.

Please contact Lucy Ropp Hornor at for information and questions. Don Douglas and I are handling arrangements for the Class of '54. Patty and Don Davis and Paul Hornor are chairing the '53 Class committee. Patty Robinette Davis (Ph: 304-842-5582) is in charge of all correspondence for both classes and can be contacted at her home address: 83 Garden Circle, Bridgeport, WV 26330.

We think the fall foliage will be at its peak during this weekend and hope that many grads will plan to attend the festivities. Unfortunately, we have not been able to contact some classmates because we have no current address or email, or news.

If anyone can help in locating any of the following, please let me know or notify Patty Davis.

For the Class of 1953, Carole Hickman Winter, Mary Catherine Billet Cooper, Peter Stanley Cardiges, Amos Eugene Conley, Bob Davis, Barbara Duvall, Lorena Gear Griffith, Willard Carson Graves, Jr., David Lee Grimes, Civyl Elizabeth Hargraves Holley, Eloise Joan Harvey Stacy,Shirley Jenkins Clayton, James Earl Juergens, Charles J. Kennedy, Noble Leon Kirkpatrick, Elizabeth Ann Losh Knight, Janice Kathleen Mall Brown, Mary Jane Powell Andrews, Alice Jane Reed, Charlotte Ruth Sargent, Barbara Jean Smith Matthew, Shirley Swiger Harper, Irene Joanne Westing, and Charles Ora Wright.

In the Class of 1954, we are looking for information on Charles B. Bennett, Samuel Fiorenza, James Gaidos, Joe Boomer, and Barbara Sutton Nay.

Many thanks for all your assistance!!!!!
Lucy Ropp Hornor, WI Class of 1954


WI Class of 63 is trying to find class members for our fiftieth reunion. We have sent out the letters informing the members of the date --August 16-17, 2013 - at Village Square on Rt. 19 North.

We do not have an address for the following people:
Beatrice Barbour-Carpenter, Autrice Bowsman, Betsy Dillmore-Runyan, Ed.N. Evans, James Flint, Karen Floyd-Barrett, Jeanne Griffith-Mackie, Elaine Hayler-Harey, Jeanne Helmick, Bob Law, Bill Lewis, Marilyn Jackson-Dumire, Barbara McClain, Mitzi McFerran-Burkel, James Matheny, Ed Thomas Miller, Carl Murphy, John North, Hazel Patrick, Bob Rice, Joseph Ed. Ryan, David Schweinebraten, Mike Townley, James D. VanDevender.

If you know the addresses, e-mails or phone numbers of any of the above names please e-mail or call me 304-624-6967. If I missed anyone that is in the class of 63, please let me know if you did not receive a letter.

We are interested in seeing you and would appreciate if you could respond when you do get the letter as soon as possible. We need to make arrangements and give a number for Village Square. Thank you, see you in Aug.


submitted by: Ron Ogren (WI '50)

EDITOR’S NOTE: Glad you wrote Ron!

I have been on vacation from Dec. until recently in Texas and Arizona and did not get to see the newsletters. But now I am catching up and when I read the Feb. issue about the Jan mystery picture, I wanted to comment:

The S. & S. Chevrolet Co. store.
I can remember riding my bike with friends to see the new cars when the paper was removed from the windows, the cars polished for display. We thought we would see a flashy new car as it was time for something new, the war was over, and new things were happening. I don't think the 1946 Chevys were all that exciting compared to the previous year's model. As a sales promotion S & S gave out a "Lucky Penny" to most everyone and here are pictures of the one I received from them in 1946. I took it home to Dad but we kept our 1940 Olds for another year or two and then he bought a 1947 Dodge instead.

submitted by: Ron Harvey (WI '55)

I remember the unveiling of the newest car in the early '50s. The one in particular that I remember was the '50 Ford. The Ford Garage (Wilson Motors, I think) located at "Angle End" had the windows covered up with paper and the paper had some eye level peep holes in it. Of course the new cars were not in there yet. They had a big sign on the windows that said "50 Changes in the 50 Ford". When the cars did come out, some of the changes were noticeable, but not many and the changes were not big. The Garage had big letters across the building that said "WATCH THE FORDS GO BY".

submitted by: Evelyn Brown Harper (VHS '62)

I vividly remember the "unveiling" of the new Chevrolets in Point Comfort! My parents bought the brand new 1954 Chevy Bel Air right off the showroom floor! It was aqua and much more beautiful than our black 1940's model! I remember the excitement I felt buying THE new car in the showroom


submitted by: Tim Cork (WI '62)

A few days ago, I got an email from a person in Turtle, OK that I didn't know. He told me he had found a picture of S&S Chevrolet Company on my Clarksburg blog and was so excited because he recently purchased an old 1950 Chevy from a lady in Clarksburg. Here's what makes the story so interesting.

In the car's glove compartment was all the original S&S paperwork, dating back to when the car was purchased in 1950. (see attachments)

He was kind enough to email me copies of all the S&S ownership papers along with a receipt from S&S showing the amount originally paid for the car new. A few days after I received copies of all this paperwork, it dawned on me that I had a 1950's West Virginia license plate in my collection of old license plates.

I sent him the plate and you can imagine the response I got from him when he received it. He said, he is going to restore the car and this license plate will be placed on the car when he's done. Well, I guess he couldn't wait, for he sent me a picture of the plate on the car before he even got started. (see attachment)

Roleta, you're probably asking yourself why I'm telling you this. But if you recall, many months ago a mystery picture of S&S Chevrolet was posted in the WI Newsletter. I can't find where anyone responded to this picture in any of the following newsletters. I didn't even know where the dealership was located at the time. However, I do now and thought you might want to hear this story and see the pictures I have in my files now. (see attachments)


submitted by: John Teter (WI '61)

I cannot remember a whole lot about cars that my parents had during my “younger days”, but I do remember a DODGE (I think) that they had when I first learned to drive. After I got my driver’s license, my parents asked me to drive to the store and get something that they needed from Kroger’s down on Pike Street. So, I drove to Kroger, and thinking that I might catch a glimpse of one of the Correll sisters that lived on Locust Avenue, I decided to go out the back way from Kroger’s and up the “little hill” to Locust Avenue. Well, I got stopped at the top of the “little hill” and much to my dismay, a car pulled up right on my back bumper. So, when I let out on the brake (or what little brake there was), I backed into the car behind me and buckled the hood of that car. I do not remember the consequences of that first accident, but I do not remember driving that car EVER AGAIN. I do remember that it sat out in front of my parents’ house for a long time, going nowhere. I cannot remember if it was because my parents could not afford to get the brakes fixed or the car, but eventually it do just go away and my parents got an Oldsmobile.

I can remember them having two Oldsmobile cars; one that was green and white; and one that was black and white with a sun visor (sort of thing) that was over the front windshield. That was a really nice car, even though I never really got a chance to drive it a lot. One time that I was driving it, I was in a hurry to go over to see a “girlfriend” of mine that lived out in Goff Plaza and I can remember that car spinning out on me as I took off down the expressway on my way over to see her. I did get collected enough mentally to pursue my visit with her, as I was lucky enough not to hit anything and/or anybody in my “spinout”.

The first car that I bought myself after graduating and leaving C-burg, was a 1965 Chevrolet Impala Super Sport, with a 327 engine and 3-speed transmission (shifted on the floor). I kept that car for 2 years, went thru 3 transmissions and 3 clutches and decided to go to an automatic transmission car, so I traded the Impala in on a 1966 Oldsmobile. From there I went to Ford (2 Mustangs and a Torino); Buick; Volkswagen; Chevy again; Pontiac; and then to TOYOTA which is where I have been since 1986, and three trucks/SUV’s


Above pictures were taken in 1962 of Esther Hooper. The one with my wife and I was taken a few days after we were married on Aug. 31, 1962, it was taken in front of my In-Laws house by our Corvette. The other picture was taken in the fall of 1963. Our dogs name was Lester until we found out it was a female, then we named her Lester-Rene. The pictures were taken in New Jersey where we have lived since 1963


This knowledge really brightened my day!!!

Ever walk into a room with some purpose in mind, only to completely forget what that purpose was?

Turns out, doors themselves are to blame for these strange memory lapses. Psychologists at the University of Notre Dame have discovered that passing through a doorway triggers what's known as an event boundary in the mind, separating one set of thoughts and memories from the next. Your brain files away the thoughts you had in the previous room and prepares a blank slate for the new locale.

Thank goodness for studies like this. It's not our age, it's that stupid door!

I just had to share this as I know we all have this problem.

By Bill Meredith

To Bill:

My first major League game was in Forbes Field in the summer of 1948. The Cardinals were in town playing the Pirates who were, as they have been so many times over the years, already buried in last place. Musial regularly played in the outfield but due to an injury, was at first base. I don't recall any details from that game or those of the next two days (a mid-week three game series), which we also saw, but I remember how he stood in the box and swung the bat. He was as smooth a hitter as I ever saw.

Jim Brown, W I 1957

Reply To Jim:

I'm glad you mentioned Forbes Field. It was there that I saw my first Major League baseball game. We had driven 100 miles to see the game and our view was blocked, so it was a little inconvenient, but I loved it. I well remember the Pirates of the 50's. They were not very good. Joe Garagiola was their catcher for a few seasons and some of the other players were Stan Rojek, Ralph Kiner, Johnny Hopp, and Danny Murtaugh. One year, they lost well over 100 games, which may still be a record for the short season. I also agree that Musial had one of the sweetest swings ever. The best thing about him was that he was just a nice guy.

Bill (

To Bill: (Via Roleta):

My family used to go to Pittsburgh once a year to see the Pirates play in Forbes Field. I remember driving through the tunnels into Pittsburgh and on the cobblestones that paved the Boulevard of the Allies on the way to the field.

We always had good seats behind the visitors’ dugout and we did see the Bucs play the Cardinals. Once when we did, my sister Martha ran from our seats to the gate by the dugout when a Cardinal player walked from the field and asked for an autograph. Martha was persistent and flashed a lovely smile when she asked them to sign her program, and she got autographs from the entire Cardinals’ starting lineup, Musial among them.

Their third baseman, I think his name was Gordon, called my brother over to the gate and gave him a bat that had been broken in batting practice.

Playing against the Pirates, Musial hit the hardest ball I ever saw. It was a chest-high fastball on which he uncoiled like a whip and drove it down the first base line on the ground. It went past the first baseman so fast he did not have time to bend down. I thought it would have taken his glove into right field if he had gotten it on the ball. The ball went past the right fielder who was running toward the foul line and bounced off the concrete right field wall, which angled away from the line. The center fielder was sprinting toward the wall, but he could not get deep enough to get to the ball and it rolled past him, too, almost into right field. The right fielder finally fielded the ball. When he looked up, Musial was crossing the plate. He was The Man.

Don Marple, W I 1953

Reply To Don:

Very interesting letter. Isn't it too bad that most players nowadays will not give autographs to young fans. I guess too many of the youngsters end up selling them, so the players stopped giving them away for free. I agree that Musial could swat a ball. I saw him hit one to left center in Forbes Field that was one of the hardest hit balls I ever saw. I imagine that he enjoyed playing in Pittsburgh, since he grew up in Donora, Pa.

Thanks for the story.

Bill (

To Bill:

I “normally” do not watch college basketball, unless it is a game in which Duke is playing, as my son went to high school in Reston, Virginia with Grant Hill. However, I did happen to be scanning channels over the last couple of weeks, and saw two WVU games. One of them was awesome, as they beat Texas, in a very good/tight game. The other game was one that I was sorry that I even saw a minute of, as it was against Baylor and WVU just did not seem to be in the game at any point. Why not? Is this what you keep mentioning in the newsletter as to your reference on “which WVU team will be showing up for this game”?

Have you received any more E-mails regarding the comparison between the 55 – 56 versus 59 – 60 WI basketball match up?

John Teter, W I 1961

Reply To John:

By watching those two games, you saw the best and some of the worst basketball that this WVU team has played this year. Unfortunately, most of the time it has been bad. I have decided that we only have one team and it is not very talented. Their only wins have been against inferior opponents. As a big fan, I'll be glad when this season is over. I think we have all suffered enough and I imagine Coach Huggins feels about the same way. Strangely, I have only received the one email, from Bob Secret, about the two W I basketball teams. I thought it would spark more interest, but I was wrong. Thanks for writing.

Bill (

Below is a site which shows clips of several WVU football games over the years. Enjoy.

Below is an article written by Mickey Furfari, which appeared in The Fairmont Times/West Virginian about W I's own Bob Clousson.

By Mickey Furfari

MORGANTOWN—Bob Clousson had to be one of the smallest centers in college basketball in the late 1950’s.

But the 6-foot-5, 210-pound Clarksburg native, selected from the student body, lettered at West Virginia University in 1957-58-59.

He worked his way up into the starting job as a senior and, playing against centers much taller and heavier, helped the Mountaineers to within two points of the National Championship.

That great team, led by junior superstar Jerry West, dropped a heart-breaking 71-70 decision to California in the title tussle in the 1959 finale at Louisville, KY.

While the 29-5 record by Coach Fred Schaus’ team remains the best percentage-wise, the 2009-10 team had the winningest at 31-7 reaching the Final Four.

Clousson, now 75, has been living in Sarasota, Fla., since 1999 with wife Darlene. They have two sons, Troy 47 and Dan 45. There also are two grown grandsons, Jeff 21 and Matt 18.

Besides a 29-5 record in ’59, Clousson was a contributor to 25-5 and 26-2 marks in his sophomore and junior seasons.

Those three together add up to an amazing 80-12 record—possibly the best consecutive trio in the program’s history.

Clousson hasn’t forgotten that in the contest with California he made five goals in as many attempts and two free throws in two tries for a perfect 12 points.

But it was a 74-72 victory against highly ranked Western Kentucky in 1959 that sticks out in his mind most.

“We had decided that Jerry West was going to take the last shot with the score tied,” Clousson recalled. “But it fell short and I tipped it in.

“So that was a big thrill for me. Western Kentucky had a 6-10 center and their team was strong.”

Clousson, who started every game as the No. 1 center in ’59, played in 82 games. For his three years, he scored 435 points and pulled down 380 rebounds. He made 147 of 308 field goal attempts (47.7 percent) and 141 of 218 free throws (64.7 percent) and had 43 assists. Clousson was given a Board of Governors grant as a sophomore, then Schaus put him on a full scholarship before his junior season started.

He said, “Playing with Jerry West was a delightful experience. You knew you were playing with one of the greatest ever to play the game. You knew he could make the big plays.

“You knew you could count on him. He was our go-to guy. But we all played well together. That’s why we were so successful. Playing so well as a team was our strongest point.”

Clousson, who had starred at Washington Irving High in Clarksburg, was a great admirer of Coach Schaus. “He told me I was an aggressive player, and that took me a long way,” he stated.

“I thought Fred was the greatest person in the world. He was a great coach and a gentleman.”

Clousson had Hot Rod Hundley as a teammate in 1957. “He certainly had talent,” he said of the then Clown Prince of College Basketball. “But he wanted to have fun.”

Below are three pictures furnished to us by Jim Alvaro, W I 1956. He has made some interesting comments at the bottom of each picture. Does anyone disagree with him? If so, write to me at and I'll share your comments with our readers.



Maybe spring is not quite here for our northern neighbors, but by the look of the Grapefruit League ballparks, it is well under way in Florida. One of the advantages of living in the Sunshine State is having access to preseason baseball games. Close by, we have the Baltimore Orioles in Sarasota, the Pittsburgh Pirates in Bradenton, the Tampa Bay Rays in Port Charlotte and the New York Yankees in Tampa. All are within about an hour's drive from our home. Unfortunately, my favorite team, the St. Louis Cardinals, train on the east coast of Florida and I've chosen not to drive the six or so hours round trip to see one of their games. The great thing about spring training is that every team thinks they have a chance to win the World Series, so fans flock to the games.

This time of year, I'd usually be following the possible pairings for the NCAA tournament, but my team is not going to make it to the "Big Dance" this year. I've tried to figure out this WVU basketball team all year. I know they can't shoot well. They can't run their offense at all, sometimes looking worse than a middle school team. Their guards need a lot of work on their defensive skills. But, having said all of that, I still think I'm missing something. Bob Huggins talks often about the "pouters". The old saying states that it only takes one rotten apple to spoil the whole barrel. Could WVU have a couple of "rotten apples" on the roster? Dissension in the ranks can rip a team apart. I hope I'm wrong, but if I'm right, let's hope Huggins can find the cure before next season.

Oh well, I'll still watch the March Madness, if only to watch Aaron Craft of Ohio State play defense. If you haven't seen him, it's worth your time to do so. He is amazing. Have a Great Spring and I hope to see many of you in Sarasota on March 9 at the Clarksburg Reunion Picnic.

Send me your thoughts and comments on any sports subject.

Bill (


Dave Martin (Lumberport '64)
Martha R. Jett (RW '79)

Margaret Jean Merendino Zirrolli (WI 1967) I have misplaced her email address. If you know her address will you either send it to me or tell her to resend it….Thanks


submitted by: Richard Underwood (WI '60)

I have been looking for Dave Bevans WI class of 61 I think. We ran around together in school and I can’t find an email address for him. Will you please post this on the WI website for me? If you have any information on Dave, please contact me. Thanks.

EDITOR’S NOTE: The e-mail address I have for Dave Bevans is no longer working.


Can you tell us about the Neely family of Clarksburg,
here are some things to cause you to remember,
and perhaps you will share those memories with us.

Do you remember the Neely family of Clarksburg?

Do you remember their home? Do you have a picture that you will share with us? Were you ever in the house? Where was the house? I think it was close to Chestnut Street in downtown Clarksburg and may have been a big Victorian style home. Did it have an elevator?

Who made up the Neely family? There was a boy in the family named Wally. He may be about 75+ now. I don’t believe he attended WI. He may have attended a private school or had a private teacher. Do you know?

Did they have a maid and a cookThey may have at sometime left Clarksburg and moved to Bridgeport.

Write and share your memories of this family. Write to



This month I received a check for the WIN Scholarship given by Becky Sharpe Mosley (WI 1962) in memory of her brother, Senator William Richard Sharpe, Jr. who graduated from Victory High School in 1946.

Mr. Sharpe served West Virginia for 44 years as a Senator of Harrison, Lewis, Gilmer and Braxton Counties.

In December of 2008 he retired due to bad health and on February 15, 2009 he went home to be with the Lord. He was a great supporter of youth and furthering the education of young adults thus Becky knows that he would be please to be honored by her gift to the WIN Scholarship in his memory.

From: Wikipedia:

William R. "Bill" Sharpe Jr. (October 28, 1928 – February 16, 2009) was a Democratic member of the West Virginia Senate, representing the 12th District. He was first elected in 1960 and served until 1980. From 1972 until 1980 he served as Majority Whip. He was elected again in 1984 and in 1990 was appointed Senate President Pro Tempore. Sharpe currently holds the distinction of being the longest serving State Senator in West Virginia history, serving a career of over 44 years. What Robert C. Byrd was to the United States Senate, Sharpe was to the West Virginia Senate.

In 1994, West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources opened a new 150 bed acute care psychiatric facility to replace the old Weston State Hospital. The new facility was named William R. Sharpe, Jr. Hospital. In 2000 a new Civil Air Patrol facility was built at Charleston's Yeager Airport and it too was named in Sharpe's honor.

In January 2007, Sharpe underwent a 10-hour surgery to treat what doctors called a giant aneurysm. In 2008, Sharpe opted not to seek another term as State Senator. His term expired at the end of December 2008. Sharpe died February 16, 2009.



submitted by: Steve Goff

Thanks to Phylliss Moore for sending me this one. What a great surprise! I have never been to the Lost Creek library but will have to do so now.

From the Library Jounral. Best Small Library in America 2013 southern-area-public-library-wv/#_

Tension is who you think you should be.

Relaxation is who you are.


submitted by: Bob Kramer (WI '65)

The picture is the old Garden Fresh Market located at the corner of Chestnut and Pike Streets. This is now the Post Office Parking garage.

submitted by: Bill Bowie (WI '62)

Looks like the former Garden Fresh. Just as the earths cooling

submitted by: Bob Gordon (WI '73)

Garden Fresh Super Market. Corner of Pike and Chestnut? catty corner from Church of Christ. My Dad, Dr. Paul Gordon and Mom, Lil shopped there and they said the produce was more fresh than Krogers. You could also find specialty items there.

submitted by: John Teter (WI '61)

John Teter (WI '61) I think that the “mystery picture” in the current edition of the WI Newsletter, is the GARDEN FRESH SUPERMARKET, which was located at the corner of Pike Street and Chestnut Street, right below the Post Office. I can remember going to the Garden Fresh, rather than Kroger’s, as it was a close walk to and from Broaddus Avenue where we lived, and the parking lot was TINY. The store itself was not as big as the Kroger’s that is further down Pike Street toward Adamston, but it was much more convenient to get to and from – AND, a shorter walk. The more I write about the “Kroger’s”, I am not positive that the store further down Pike Street was actually a Kroger’s “back in the day”, but Kroger’s is what is now there.

That corner has now given way to an extended parking lot for the postal vehicles. Just past the Garden Fresh, there was a gas station, which is now a fruit stand/market, which did not come into existence until after the Garden Fresh had closed. There was another Garden Fresh out on the other end of Pike Street toward Bridgeport Hill, and just past Minard’s, but that is now an electrical supply store.

submitted by: Elizabeth Teter Akin (WI '56)

I know that the photo is of a building at the northeast corner of Pike St. and Chestnut Street. I believe it is the Garden Fresh Market, though I am sure there were other businesses in that same building. In the mid to late '40's I remember there was a playground on the lot just above that store (or just behind it? Maybe on it. That was long, long ago). Both are long gone. The Esso station was earlier a Pure oil station. That closed when a new one was built on the lot next to the Post Office where a lovely Victorian home had stood.(I have a photo of that house being torn down. Will try to find it and send it.). That Pure Oil station went away as did the building on the corner when the Post Office bought the whole block.

In the background you can see Pierpont School, also long gone.

Many thanks as always for the good work you and Judy do to help us recall wonderful memories.

submitted by: Sam Urso (WI '57)

I believe it is the A & L Market on Pike St. down from what is now the Post Office. There use to be a park beside this grocery store and we use to go there to play. I have some funny memories about that park.

That park was mainly for grade school children….swings, see saws, sand boxes, picnic tables, a good many trees, etc. You have to keep in mind that was before they thought about putting some one in charge of the park. Occasionally we would get a few high school kids come to the park and do things that they should not be doing in public. One day my mother happened to overhear a conversation between me and a friend about what I saw at the park. I was never allowed to go to the park unaccompanied again.

submitted by: Jim Selario (WI '67)

I believe that the mystery picture is of the Garden Fresh Super Market on the corner of West Pike Street and South Chestnut Street in Clarksburg. It is long gone as is the entire chain of Garden Fresh Stores. There is a parking lot for the post office on that site now. I am not sure if I was ever in that particular store but we sometimes went to the one located on old Rt. 50 next to Tolley Electric. We lived in Broad Oaks across the street from John Caputo who was the owner of the chain.

I live in Bridgeport, so I never really left. My office is located about 1/2 block away from the location of the picture. It is in the old Burger Chef building on Chestnut Street between Main and Pike Streets if you remember that. I am an optometrist and I converted that building to my office about 20 years ago. Incidentally my wife grew up on Mulberry Avenue about a block away from that Garden Fresh.

Roleta, thanks to you and Judy for the great job that you do with the newsletter every month.

submitted by: Barry Mazza (WI '58)

I will dive in on the "mystery building" in the ol Berg. That is [was]... the A@L Market building on Pike and Chestnut Street.

I grew up there right around the corner..........many trips to the store for my Mom to pick up things and put it on the old charge account.

When I was very, very young I was very, very concerned how the meat slicer worked which was setting right on the low counter by the meat case. I had to touch it, cutting my finger very badly which resulted in a trip to Dr Goke [sp.] for a stitch. I found out what SHARP meant.

But, across the street in the back ground, that was MY corner, I spent much of my time on my bicycle holding court on that corner.

The gas station was a "Pure Oil" back in the 40's. The owner was a man named Mr Hood. He saw me so much around the station that he gave me a "JOB", painting tires and running boards with black tar paint that was thinned with gasoline.

My mom would freak out ever day when I came home covered in black paint and sinking of gasoline.

I would get 5 cents to do the job, 4 tires and spares and running boards.

He had a small stall beside the gas station where he kept 2 horses, I also was paid to clean out the stalls of manure, Mr. Hood told me many times that .......that’s about all I would ever amount to in my life.

I remember well painting the running boards on Mr Clemmin’s Duisenberg roadster, what a car , I know he kept that car well into the 1960's as it was a very rare and unusual car. He would bring it in for a wash job now and then. Today it would be worth well over 1 million dollars.

Wonder where it is?????

OK that’s my story.....

submitted by: Ron Kidd (WI '70)

The photo in this edition is that of the old Garden Fresh Market on the corner of Chestnut St & W. Pike St. owned by the Caputo’s. There was also one in Edgewood, Nutterfort, and Bridgeport.

submitted by: Ron Harvey (WI '55)

I think the March Mystery Photo is on West Pike Street, taking the picture toward Pierpont School. I went to Pierpont from the 2nd grade the 6th.

submitted by: Jim Alvaro (WI '56)

I don't know the name of the place but it looks like it would be on the corner of Chestnut and Pike Streets. The other side, where the gas station is, I think it is a fruit and vegetable store is now. Opposite side of Pike Street was a church, I believe. Opposite side down Pike a little was Rouches Fruit Mkt.........................................I think.


If you would like to guess the identification of the picture above, please write to Remember to add a memory and include your name, school and year of graduation. thanks


On the right is Roleta cooking the hot dogs over the open fire! Thanks Jim


Tim Spahr, son of Mary Sue Clark Spahr (WI 1956), graduated from Fairborn High School in Fairborn, Ohio in 1988.

He earned undergraduate degrees in astronomy and physics from the University of Arizona and his masters and Ph.D in astronomy from the University of Florida in 1998.

He is the Director of the Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts. His center catalogs and plots the orbits of all asteroids discovered in the world.

Below is a picture of Tim presenting a paper about the hazards of asteroids at a UN conference in Vienna, Austria. Tim is the one on the left, white shirt, dark hair, balding.


When was the first time you ever went Snipe Hunting? Who took you? Did you ever take anyone Snipe Hunting? Who and where did you go? Tell us the story.

Write to:

I am trying to find a subject that will interest you enough to write to me…..if you don’t like any of my suggestions, why don’t you suggest a subject?


submitted by: Bill Bowie (WI '62)

By the way, I would like to find a WI class ring. I lost mine. Thanks



Christopher Hill (WI 1960)
Judy Aspy Payne (WI 1959)
Allen Alvarez (WI 1958)
Arreta Jaranko (WI 1940)
Phil Hooper (WI 1959)
Sondra S. Brown
Bev and Larry O’Grady (Bridgeport 1955)
Gerry Winerman (WI 1957)
Babe Bisping Cashman (WI 1956)
Becky Mosley (WI 1962) Given in memory of her brother-(see article)
Sherry Keith
Bill White (WI 1956)
Diane Watne (WI 1957)
David Saucer (WI 1951)
Sarg McQuillan (WI 1957)
Joyce Royse
Nick Stevens
Lynn Hornor Keith
Betty Latstetter Burke (WI 1958)
Mirianna Warblak (WI 1956)

Listed above are the people who supported our gift back to Clarksburg thru the WIN Scholarship.

This is one way we can all come together as one unit and do something important.

Won’t you join our wonderful experience of showing our appreciation to Clarksburg and helping support some young people receive a higher education.

Write your check to:
Roleta Meredith c/o WIN Scholarship

Mail to: Roleta Meredith
3201 Charles MacDonald Drive
Sarasota, FL 34240


submitted by: Dave McMunn (WI '57)
Lives in Clarksburg and married to Sandra Conwell (WI 1956)

The Mom Cave makes it into Chicken Soup for the Soul!

Amy McMunn Schindler, BA, MA, JD, is a 1988 WI grad and perhaps her participation in the forthcoming publication of Chicken Soup for the Soul: Raising Kids on the Spectrum might be of interest to some of your readers. The link to her blog about the publication is found below.

Link: as.html.

Amy is our daughter.



Ed Huffman, 77, a life-time farmer, well-known in the excavating construction world since 1968, as well as well-site construction and maintenance, passed away Friday evening, Feb. 8, 2013, in the Louis A. Johnson VA Medical Center.

He was born on Feb. 5, 1936, at Snake Hollow near Glen Falls, a son of the late Ernest M. and Evelyn I. Shock Huffman. He is survived by his wife, Betty Abraham Huffman.

Also surviving are his three children and very special grandchildren whom he loved dearly, Wayne E. (Cheryl) and their sons, Brandon Hatton and Sean Huffman; Vicki (Jay) Matthews and son-Jay Matthews, and son, Tyler Morgan; and Dianna Huffman (Russ) LaAsmar and sons Ryan and Jason LaAsmar.

Also surviving are a brother, Oliver L. Huffman and his wife, Jeanie, Sycamore; three sisters, Anna Marie Swisher, Beverly and Cora Davis, Clarksburg, and Carolyn Gola and her husband, Frank “Shorty,” Elkins; several nieces and nephews; two aunts, Betty Hall and Helen Hoover; a special cousin, Dave Riley and his wife, Barbara, all of Charleston, complete his family.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his mother and father-in-law, Ford and Anna Abraham; and brothers-in-law, James Swisher and Gary Davis.

Ed graduated from Victory High School, Class of 1954, where he played basketball and football, and was a member of the 4-H club in earlier years. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army, where he drove a tank, and the U.S. National Guard.

After high school, he worked for the Nabisco Co. and Pittsburgh Plate. He and his wife, Betty, operated Huffman Meat and Produce Market on Rt. 19 South near West Milford from 1966-1975. In 1968, Ed decided to start his own excavating business, Huffman Construction Co., with one backhoe and himself as the operator, and he built the business into a successful excavating company doing both residential and commercial work.

He expanded his work in construction as the Huffman-Moore Construction Co., building numerous homes and subdivisions in the 1970s. Drawing upon his experience in the excavating field, Ed entered the oil and gas exploration market in 2001. With his home, farm and office located on Route 19 South of Clarksburg, near West Milford, the Huffman Construction Co. is a thriving firm of over 44 years that owes its longevity to experience, talent and a commitment to “Good Faith and Fair Dealings.”


Alan Ross Dutchess, 40, of Marlinton, WV, formerly of Nutter Fort, passed unexpectedly on Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2012.

He was born Dec. 2, 1972, at United Hospital Center, son of Dennis Allen and Nancy Gail Ross Dutchess.

Alan attended R-W High School, graduated from W.I. High School and received his degree in Philosophy and Creative Writing from West Virginia Wesleyan College.

Alan worked as a chef at C.J Maggie’s during college and several years after. He enjoyed being a chef and worked at the Country Club in Spartanburg, SC, and Blacksburg, VA. He then returned to WV and was a chef at the Elk River Touring Center, after which he had his own catering business and taught music. He then went to the National Radio Astronomy Observatory where he was for five years.

Alan was a talented musician. He played and taught all types of music and multiple instruments and especially enjoyed bluegrass music. He also loved hiking, nature trails, bike riding and just being outdoors.

In addition to his parents, he is survived by his sister, Gail Denise Dutchess, Galax, VA; his former wife, Michelle Sattler, Marlinton, WV; aunts and uncles.


Dolores Feeney Brown, 81, passed away peacefully following a brief illness in Chattanooga, Tenn.

She was the loving mother of Robert Brown, Johnson City, Tenn., and William Brown, wife, Haven, and grandchildren, Jordan and Collin of Frederick, Md.

She is survived by sisters, Barbara Feeney Tiano and Sharon Feeney Jones; nephews, Joe and Steve Tiano and Jim and John Schrader; and niece, Mary Sloan; and her brother, John Feeney. Sisters Maureen Feeney and Phyllis Feeney Mosser preceded her in death.

Born in Clarksburg, WV, daughter of John and Mary Feeney, she attended grade and high school at St. Mary’s and graduated from St Mary’s School of Nursing as a professional registered nurse. People will remember her as a public health nurse in Chattanooga and a weekend charge nurse at St. Barnabas Rehabilitation Center.

Although blind from glaucoma for the last 15 years, she remained active in the Helen Keller Center and often spoke to groups on dealing with blindness. Her motto was “Have cane will travel.”


Mrs. Lorentina “Tina” (Chiado) Folio, age 68, passed away February 6, 2013, at her residence with her family at her side.

She was the daughter of the Joe Chiado and Angeline (Bilotta) Chiado.

Surviving are her husband, John R. Folio, ; one son, Eric A. Folio; one brother, Frank Chiado, six sisters, Catherine Chiado, Flora Plivelich, Josephine Olivio, Angeline Fuchs, Mary (Willard) Graves, and Judy (Greg) Stevens.

Tina was a member of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church in Stonewood where she had been secretary for 12 years. Tina graduated from Notre Dame High School in the Class of 1962


Mrs. Barbara (Ashcraft) Per-singer, age 72, passed away February 7, 2013, at her residence.

She was the daughter of the late George T. Ashcraft and Dorothy Johnson Ashcraft.

Her husband, Charles E. Persinger, preceded her in death September 21, 1985.

Surviving are: A daughter, Paula J. Persinger, and brother, James Ashcraft, with whom she resided; a brother, Maurice Ashcraft; three sisters and a brother-in-law, Diane Wiseman, Norma Gallo, and Linda (John) Elsbury

In addition to her parents, Mrs. Persinger was also preceded in death by one infant sister, Kathy Louise Ashcraft; and five brothers, George Michael Ashcraft, Rodney Lynn Ashcraft, Stanley Ashcraft, Jesse Ashcraft and Nelson Clark Ashcraft.

Barbara had attended Victory High School.


Mary Bird Ferguson, 77, died February 14, 2013 in Chapel Hill.

She was born in Heaters, W.Va. in 1936 and raised in Clarksburg, W.Va.

As a child, she attended Camp Appalachia, where her mother was a nurse, and later returned as a counselor for many happy years.

She attended West Virginia University and Ohio State University where she earned her degree in English and Early Childhood Education. She was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.

She was married for 47 years to Lt. Gen. Thomas R. Ferguson Jr., who she survived by 10 years. He was the love of her life. Throughout his Air Force career, she was an elementary school teacher in Texas, Ohio and Virginia. She cared deeply about education and children. After his retirement from the Air Force, they lived for many years in Kiawah, S.C. She moved to Chapel Hill in 2005.

She was active in the Presbyterian Church and served as a deacon at University Presbyterian in Chapel Hill and John's Island Presbyterian in South Carolina.

She is survived by her children, Ritson Ferguson and Liza Monroe and her six grandchildren, Tommy, Caitlin and James Ferguson, and Hannah Limone, Olivia and Madeline Monroe.


James Francis Iaconis passed away January 17 in Houston, TX. He was 76 years old.

Jim was born and raised in Clarksburg and graduated from Washington Irving High School, where he earned All-State honors in football and track. He was a longtime resident of West Virginia, earned a Bachelor's degree from WVU and was a member of the WVU football team. He traveled extensively throughout the state, often to attend high school football games. He also enjoyed visiting new places both as a tourist and while in military service. As a proud member of the U.S. Army, Maj. Iaconis was deployed in Europe, Southeast Asia and Central America, was a Vietnam Veteran and served in over 50 countries. An avid traveler and linguist, he could speak 3 languages and might greet you in over a dozen more. Jim worked at Reynolds Memorial Hospital in Glen Dale, WV, for almost 20 years, and his wife Cathy also worked there during that time. He never met someone he couldn't find something in common with and enjoyed finding that connection, no matter how obscure it might be. Jim's family and close friends were well aware of his favorite songs and his singing voice; and if one of Jim's jokes is believed, then he will return in his next life as a professional singer.

Most mornings, Jim could be found at McDonald's drinking coffee with the Moundsville klatch, at Bob's Lunch or at Rigas Restaurant. He was an active member of the Sons of Italy and rarely missed working a Thursday night pasta dinner there. He seemed to know at least one person in every corner of the Upper Ohio Valley region. Jim enjoyed spending time with his grandchildren, watching football and learning more about historical events. He liked to cook; his diners never complained; and there was no recipe he couldn't improvise.

He is preceded in death by his parents, John and Mary (Priore) Iaconis of Clarksburg, WV; sisters, Mary Frances Lindgren of Covina, CA, and Christine Pintabone of Waltham, MA; wife, Catherine Pauline (Bodnar) of Weirton, WV; and their daughter, Catherine Ann and son Matthew.

Surviving Jim are (sister) Deanna Tomao of Corpus Christi, TX; (sister) Joan Beto of Pittsburgh, PA; (sister) Gloria and Marlin Moore of Dayton, TX; (brother) John Iaconis of Arlington, VA; (son) John and Pam Iaconis of Carnegie, PA; (daughter) Larisa and Omar Tidwell; (son) James Iaconis of Houston, TX; (granddaughter) Kelly Snoden of Kings Point, NY; and (grandsons) Alexander and Nathaniel Tidwell of Houston, TX.


John Michael Fuscaldo, 65, of Clarksburg, WV, passed away on February 21, 2013, suddenly. He was born in Clarksburg, a son of the late Joseph Michael Fuscaldo and Rose Ann Lopez Fuscaldo, who resides in Bridgeport, WV.

His loving wife of 41 years, Clara Jean DeMicco, resides at their home in Clarksburg.

In addition to his mother and wife, John is survived by his brother, Joseph Franklin Fuscaldo and wife Victoria of Las Vegas, NV; his niece, Rose Fuscaldo; and nephew, Joseph Fuscaldo.

He was a 1965 graduate of Notre Dame High School and a 1969 graduate of West Virginia University.

He retired with 24 years of dedicated service with the Clarksburg City Police Department and was currently working as a U.S. Court Security Officer.

He was a member of the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church and also held memberships with the Fraternal Order of Police, FBI National Academy Association and the West Virginia Chiefs of Police Association.

John was a member of the Miata Club, and enjoyed, along with his wife Clara, many cruises with fellow Miata enthusiasts.


Joseph Frederick “Fred” Voldeck, 68, of Clarksburg, WV, departed this earth to be with the Lord on Tuesday, February 26, 2013, at the Meadowview Manor Health Care Center in Bridgeport, WV, after a sub acute illness.

He was born April 1, 1944, in Clarksburg, WV, a son of the late Joseph John Voldeck and Lucille “Lucy” Vance Voldeck.

He is survived by his two sisters, Mrs. Sandra Carol Voldeck Stingo of Virginia Beach, VA, and Mrs. Brenda Beto and brother-in-law, Robert J. Beto I, Clarksburg, WV; nephews, Dr. Robert J. Beto II, Morgantown, WV, Frank Stingo, Virginia Beach, VA; and nieces, Ms. Francesca Beto, Clarksburg, WV and Mrs. Kendra Merlet, Virginia Beach, VA.

Mr. Voldeck was Catholic by faith. He was a graduate of Roosevelt-Wilson High School — Class of 1962 and Fairmont State College — Class of 1966 with a degree in Business Administration. He had worked as a life insurance broker in the nation’s capital, where he was very successful and received an award and was published in Fortune Magazine for being one of the highest grossing salesmen in the 1970s.


Howard Monroe Ware Jr., passed away peacefully at the Clarksburg VA Hospital on Friday, Feb. 1, 2013, following several years of failing health.

Howard was born Aug. 2, 1931, in Clarksburg, WV, a son of the late Howard M. Ware Sr. and Mary (Bailey) Ware.

He graduated from Victory High School in 1949 and was a Navy veteran. He spent four years in the Navy as a corpsman serving with the Pacific Fleet Marine Corp. At the time of his discharge, he was stationed on the USS Curtiss. Howard was employed for many years at area glass factories, which included Continental Can, Brockway, Anchor Hocking and Newell until he had to retire due to his health.

He was a lifetime member of the VFW Post 573.

Howard is survived by his daughter, Linda (Ware) Marshall and her husband Danny of West Union, WV; son, Mark Ware and wife Tina of Clarksburg, WV; daughter, Bekki Ware of Clarksburg, WV; nine grandchildren; 16 great-grandchildren; and one great-great-grandson.

Also surviving are his sister, Jean (Ware) Hyman, longtime friend, Becky McCray.

He was preceded in death by two daughters, Donna (Ware) Critchfield and Marsha (Ware) Burrows; one sister, Nancy Jo (Ware) Green; one brother, Robert (Bob) Ware; and an infant sister, Geraldine Virginia Ware.


Roma Anette Carder, 82, Bridgeport, passed away February 14, 2013.

She was the daughter of the late James Vincenzo and Maria Ventura Luciano.

She is survived by her husband, Jack Carder.

Also surviving are four children, Kimberly Ann Toth and her husband James, Bethlehem, PA, Mark Carder and his wife Pamela, Bridgeport, Jackie Cross, Bridgeport, and Lori Douglas and her husband Michael, Milan, OH; six grandchildren, Justin D. Carder, Cole J. Carder, Renee Sprouse, Holden D. Cross, Kaitlynn Douglas and Michaela Douglas; and seven greatgrandchildren, Summer Carder, Gabriel Carder, Cameron Carder, Justin (Little Jus) Carder, Elliana Roma Cross, Cash Sprouse and Tori Sprouse; four sisters, Rose Pico, Hanover, PA, Alvera Robinson, Gallipolis, OH, Neva Stalinski, North View, and Angie DeMarco and her husband Patrick, Ocala, FL; a brother, Guy Luciano and his wife Flo, Bridgeport; and several nieces and nephews complete her family.

In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by a sister, Sarah Addis.

Roma was a graduate of Victory High School, and a homemaker. She had also worked with C&P Telephone with over 15 years of service. She was a member of All Saints Catholic Church.


Terry Jay Cunningham, 64, passed away on February 14, 2013, at his residence following an extended illness.

He is a son of the late Isaac Harper “JC” Cunningham, Jr. Surviving are his mother, Joyce Lavaughn Garvin Cunningham Keith and stepfather Bob Keith of Bridgeport. Terry was born in Clarksburg on March 9, 1948.

In addition to his mother, he is survived by his beloved wife, Guyann Dotson Cunningham, whom he married January 5, 1990.

Also surviving are Terry’s two sons, Terry J. and Brian Cunningham, both of Parkersburg; one stepson, Greg Ashcraft and wife Tammy of Jackson, NJ ; one stepdaughter, Marla Richison and companion Scott Critchfield of Bridgeport and his beloved grandchildren, Keith Richison, Brittany and Shannon Ashcraft.

Terry is also survived by his sister, Denise McAtee and husband David of Salem; and his brother, Philip Cunningham of Chiefton; one nephew, Duane P. McAtee; two nieces, Dena Elliott and husband Tony, and Katie Cunningham; one great-niece and nephew, Dairston McAtee and Marena Elliott; one brother-in-law, Sandy Dotson and wife Nancy; several cousins whom he dearly loved.

He was preceded in death by his sister-in-law, Frenna Jean Joseph and husband Bernard.

Terry was a 1966 graduate of Victory High School and a graduate of Fairmont State College (University) and had worked as an assistant manager of Quality Control at Patton Building Services in Fairmont. He was a Deacon and loyal member of the Meadowbrook Church of Christ.


Mrs. Patricia Ann (Heitz) Stanley of Ridenour Street, Clarksburg, WV, departed this life at 5:10 p.m. Monday, February 11, 2013.

She was born February 17, 1929, in Oakland, MD, the daughter of the late James P. Heitz and Helen Hinebaugh Heitz.

Her husband, Donald W. “Luke” Stanley, whom she married February 24, 1949, preceded her in death February 18, 1983.

Surviving are one daughter and son-in-law, Donna and John Meredith, Tallahassee, FL; two sons and daughters-in-law, Jeffrey and Mary Stanley, Marietta, GA, and Ronald and Ladonna Stanley, Clarksburg, WV; four granddaughters, Tamara (John) Huston, Atlanta, GA, Tiffany Lannan, Morgantown, WV, Lindsey (Garrison) Spearman, Atlanta, GA, and Hannah Krzeminski, Atlanta, GA; one great-grandson, Julian Huston, Atlanta, GA; a brother and sister-in-law; James W. and Jo (Glorioso) Heitz, Baltimore, MD; and several nieces and nephews.

“Patricia” was a graduate of Washington Irving High School — Class of 1946 and later attended the Clarksburg School of Practical Nursing. She was employed at the former St. Mary’s Hospital and the United Hospital Center after the merger, retiring in 1992. She was a former president of the Clarksburg Jaycettes and a member of the Clarksburg League for Service.

She was active with the Clarksburg/Bridgeport Christian Women for many years and was a longtime member of the Stealey United Methodist Church.


Mary Ann Sutter Hopkins, 80, of Morgantown, lost a very valiant battle with cancer in the early morning hours of Tuesday, February 26, 2013, at her home.

She was born in Clarksburg on July 12, 1932, the daughter of the late Claire Wilson Sutter and the late Helen Amos Sutter.

Survivors include her four children, Michael and wife Ruth Hopkins of Morgantown, Mark and wife Barbara Hopkins of Scott Depot, WV, Amy Hopkins McClung and husband Michael of Morgantown, and Alan and wife Ronda Hopkins of Fairmont, WV; seven grandchildren, Marcus Hopkins of Los Angeles, CA, Marla and Leah Hopkins, Scott Depot, Lindsey and Katie McClung both of Morgantown, and Daniel and Alyssa Hopkins, both of Fairmont; and her siblings, Stephen and wife Melinda Sutter of Sarasota, FL, David and wife Susan Sutter of Clarksburg, Phillip “Pete” Sutter, II of Clarksburg, and Jane Kelly Sutter of Martinsburg, WV.

In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband Walter S. Hopkins, Jr. in 2003, her stepmother, Joanne Sutter and one sister, Cathy Hamrick.

She was a graduate of Washington Irving High School in Clarksburg, WV class of 1950.

She was a member of the Ingleside Book Club, the Monongahela Garden Club, Bridge Club, and was a Lifetime Member of the Monongalia General Hospital Auxiliary. She was an ardent supporter of the West Virginia University Marching Band and Athletic teams. She was a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma Sorority and its Alumni Board.


Wilfred “Jim” Randall, II age 66 of Quiet Dell, WV departed this life on Friday, Feb. 15, 2013 at the Mon General Hospital, Morgantown, WV.

He was born in Clarksburg, WV on Oct. 21, 1946, a son of the late Wilfred “Bill” Randall and Jessie (Phillips) Randall of Nutter Fort.

Surviving are his wife, Cheryle (Brown) Randall, daughter, Mrs. Darrin (Cynthia) Paul of Fairmont and his grandchildren, Abigail Fox and Braden Paul.

He was born in Clarksburg and raised in Nutter Fort, Mr. Randall graduated from RooseveltWilson High School in 1964. Jim served in the U. S. Navy from 1964-1967 as an electrician aboard the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga CVA-60, Mayport, FL making 3 Mediterranean cruises. In 1972, he entered into the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local #596 as an apprentice electrician, later earning his journeyman and master electrician status, retiring in 1998. At that time he entered into federal service as a high-voltage electrician with the FBI, CJIS Division, Clarksburg. He retired in 2009 after being diagnosed with cancer.

Jim received his cancer treatment from the Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Zion, IL. He felt he was led to that wonderful facility by God and was blessed to have been treated by a most amazing care staff of dedicated people. He was able to enjoy 4 years of quality life by making those trips to the cancer center.

Jim and his wife made their commitment to the Lord in 2004 and were baptized later in Zion near the cancer treatment center. Abby and Braden were his pride and joy and he was so happy to have such a successful, Christian family.

In his early years, Jim's passion was cars and racing cars. He was a winner, collecting many trophies racing his cars at Eldora Raceway and at Dragway 42 in West Salem, OH.

He was a family man and included his family in his various recreation ventures, whether it was hunting, fishing, camping, boating, water skiing or snow skiing.

He wanted to share his “stuff” with his friends so they would have a fun time. He always had a new or revised joke to tell. Jim wasn't a good visitor but he loved being visited. He was drawn to the mountains in Tucker County, his final resting place.

Jim's death was pre-mature. He wanted to grow old enjoying the grandchildren; he had so much to teach them. His death was caused by a lifetime of smoking, His words of advice to everyone are, “Please don't smoke, don't let smoking rob you of your life and happiness, serve the Lord because so much peace and happiness is gained, seek the Lord, you won't be sorry”.

Jim's family and friends will miss him more than words can say. Thank God that as Christians we will be together again.

Submitted by: Sue Layfield (Jim’s sister-in-law)



Newsletter Archive

Back to WI Index